Author: The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh
Recipe type: Topping
Indulge in caramelized onions without a ton of fat. Recipe serves 4, nutritional info is per serving.
- 1 large sweet onion (Maui, Texas or Vandalia)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
- Cut onion into rings and separate.
- Put onion into skillet and toss in the oil so it's well coated.
- Stir about every 3 minutes so the onion doesn't stick and put the lid on the pan so that the onions can sweat a bit since you're using less oil.
- This process can take 30 minutes or more so do other things in the kitchen while keeping an eye on the onions.
- When onions are tan in color (darker than grilled onions) they're done and can be stored and heated later. This is when you'll notice a true caramel color to them.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 44 Fat: 3 Saturated fat: 0.50 Unsaturated fat: 2 Carbohydrates: 3 Fiber: 1 Protein: 0